The Admissions Dude Mobile Command Center
Today was my first day working remotely as a result of COVID-19, and it wasn't a disaster Granted, there are still a few minutes left in my workday, but I'm feeling confident that I won't crash and burn today. (but there's always tomorrow!)

As I went about my work, virtual meetings, evaluating applications, and getting affection from Molly Weasley, I thought about the distinct possibility that this could be a long-term thing.

This morning, Penn State released a statement announcing that the remainder of the spring semester courses would be held remotely, and that graduation would not be the traditional ceremony:

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. — Based on evolving federal guidance and statewide mitigation plans announced by Gov. Tom Wolf around the growing coronavirus pandemic and the global efforts underway to stop its spread, Penn State has extended the remote-delivery period for all classes through at least the spring semester. Examinations will also be administered remotely. Additionally, spring commencement ceremonies will be postponed while the University explores options for celebrating the achievements of our students. These decisions align with recommendations from the federal government that call for restricting of all gatherings of more than 10 people.

“Graduation is a significant milestone for our students and while it may not be the same as our traditional ceremony, we are committed to finding the best way possible to recognize the achievements of our graduates,” said Penn State President Eric J. Barron. “However, as the world works together to slow the spread of COVID-19, these decisions must be made with public health at the forefront along with the health and wellness of our students, faculty, staff, their families, and our local communities.”

The University will announce soon a schedule for students to return to campus to move out of their on-campus residence halls. It is essential that students know they will not be able to swipe into their on-campus residences until they receive specific information and detailed instructions regarding the schedule. This is critical to the University’s efforts to create as much social distancing as possible and maintain a low level of exposure risk to our students as well as all of our local communities.

“The University will also work with local authorities, landlords, and student leaders, where we can, to develop strategies to minimize the impact of students returning to our communities to retrieve personal belongings,” said Barron. “We encourage all students to be patient as they await further guidance and support.”

Boom. And like that, everything changes in a more long-term way.

While we haven't yet received any direction regarding staff reporting to campus for work - and when that would happen - the statement is more information about how the University will be operating in the near-term. I try to take solace in that. But, for the record, I'm not someone that likes to have a lot of uncertainty in his life. This is amplified even further in my work life.

A college friend of mine works in the service industry. His company has a tasting room in which he spends a bit of his time. Earlier this week, based on everything COVID-related, the company decided to limit the number of people in the tasting room to only two at a time. In my friend's words, "that's good for f**king business".

Indeed.

Needless to say, he's worried about both the immediate and lasting economic effects of the current crisis. More to the point: he's worried about his job. And I am too.

I have come to realize that working in higher education has some serious privileges, not the least of which is the ability to work from my house (and be able to accomplish nearly everything that I am able to do in the office). I wish that everyone had that same ability.

I guess that I should try to focus my attention on the positives right now. My co-workers don't know that I'm wearing pajama pants to meetings. I have a couple of four-legged friends at my ankles while I'm in "the office". I've got this supremely interesting, smart, and attractive woman with whom I'm sharing my workspace (aka, my wife). And - perhaps most of all - I am still employed.

I hope that the events of COVID-19 blow over without major incident, and that you and your family are weathering the proverbial storm in good health.