Dang.

So I'm going to out myself: I haven't see X-Men: Apocalypse. There. I said it.

As a loyal Marvel fanboy, particularly regarding the X-Men series (they were my first comic books growing up), I have tried to stick it out. I loved X-Men, and liked X2. They lost me with The Last Stand. I don't know what it was about that film - perhaps I need to watch it again - but I just wasn't on-board.

Then came the GLORIOUS re-boot: X-Men: First Class. The origin stories! YES. But Days of Future Past was kind of weird. Perhaps it was the time-travel/timeline notion that had me confused.

I just never got to the theater (or rental) to see Apocalypse, but I'm thinking that maybe I should give it a shot. Check out what Richard Brody of The New Yorker had to say:

[T]he very first set piece of the new installment in the “X-Men” franchise, directed by Bryan Singer (expertly abetted by the visual-effects designer John Dykstra), delivered a kinetic vortex of such imaginative allure that I’d have watched that one sequence continue for the movie’s full hundred-and-forty-four-minute span. That early sequence is a virtual experimental film in itself, a metamorphic churn and vertiginous soar of sheer visual invention and delight that instantly detaches itself from the requirements of dramatic information and becomes a stylistic end on its own.

I think that I'll have to get caught up.

Just because I didn't watch Apocalypse doesn't mean I'm not still a fan. Or that I'm not interested in the tale of the Phoenix (see what I did there?). This trailer certainly has my interested piqued.


Categories: ,