Rather, they are here!
If you're one of the two or three people that regularly reads my writing, you're probably wondering where The Dude has been for the past month? Well, let me break it down for you...

Last year, Penn State implemented a new Early Action (EA) decision process for undergraduate admission to the University (I previously opined about misconceptions and challenges around it here). In that first cycle we deferred approximately 6,500 applicants into our regular decision group. As a result, we received thousands of calls and emails with questions (even though we clearly explained everything in the decision letter and on our website). 

This year, in an effort to minimize the number of students that were deferred, we made some changes to how we evaluate applications. In particular we tweaked the timeline in which we evaluate applications. 

As a result of the changes to that timeline, we were able to evaluate applications and release decisions earlier. In the first three weeks of December, our team released a TON of decisions:
  • December 2-6: 6,805
  • December 9-13: 5,823
  • December 16-20: 10,338
Quick math: that is a total of 22,966 admission decisions in the first three weeks of December! I told you before that I work with the best team - I wasn't kidding!

After December 20th, the University closed for the winter break and - given the numbers I just presented - I think that our team absolutely deserved some rest! Especially after the ugly sweater contest:


After all, it is the most wonderful time of the year!

So, all of this to say that December shaped up to be very busy. But in a good way! O

Now it's onward into 2020! Today is my first day back in the office (and I'm not going to lie - it's a little weird). After sifting through the piles of emails from students, parents, and school counselors, I'll be able to once again hit the ground and get some decisions made!


Categories: