Yesterday we hosted our semi-annual gathering of high school counselors at Penn State - something that we call the Counselor Advisory Group. The purpose of the organization is to maintain a dialogue with our strong partners and collaborators on the secondary school side of the desk.

We had a great conversation that spanned everything from the "personality" of the Class of 2020 to the recent changes in the NACAC CEPP (and I'll have more on that specific topic soon).

Anyway, the conversations that were had on campus yesterday (and at an informal dinner on Sunday evening) had me reflecting on the role of high school counselors in the life of students - and I was reminded of a simple infographic that I saw recently:


Changing the nomenclature that people use is almost always difficult. However, as the graphic lays out, the change makes sense.

Now, if I could just understand why my kids' school district has decided to call students "learners"...

Categories: ,